Monday, January 4, 2010

My Pop


On December 23 my Pop, Bill Hickey, passed away. It has been one of the saddest times in my life. We had a special bond, my pop and I, and life will not be the same with out him.
With the support of my wonderful cousins and husband, I decided I wanted to give the eulogy. Our family all agreed that what was needed to send Pop off was a poem. He was known for his silly, but sentimental, rhyming poems. We were graced with them at birthdays and special milestones. So after much deliberation and procrastination, Rich and I wrote a last and final poem for my Pop.
Although I was sure I would vomit and make a giant blubbering ass of myself, I managed to swallow my nerves and read this. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, but it gave me a kind of internal peace. People cried, but most importantly they laughed and smiled. And I bet he laughed a little himself.

Poem for Pop

A traditional eulogy isn't your style
So I thought I'd write something just to make you smile

I hope these words will make you proud
Especially since I am saying them in front of this crowd

My Pop was a man who was full of life
A smiling face, and beside him a beautiful wife

He made my days brighter
As he hugged each of my kids tighter and tighter

I was lucky to have him in so much of my life
He's seen me as a granddaughter, mother and wife

He told silly jokes and did the "poppy poopy dance"
Even if it meant losing his pants

His grandchildren brought him so much joy
And HE, may have been, their favorite toy

He loved it when he had an audience
so he could put in his two cents

Always with something to say like "What the", "This to shall pass"
or "Oops I have gas"

He always stood out in a crowd
and could make anyone laugh out loud

We've all heard his stories of alter boys, matches and the cat
I still haven't figured out what to say about that

We loved him more than this poem could ever show
and it is with great sorrow that we see him go

But I imagine all of the Hickey boys
are Upstairs making a heck of a lot of noise

To heaven he's gone without a doubt,
but give him a week and they may kick him out

I'll add just one more line to come out even
Pops, We will love you forever and still can't believe you're leavin'.

1 comment:

Kim LaChapelle said...

Leah-
What an amazing tribute! I made the same decision to eulogize my grandpa and it was the most difficult and most rewarding spiel I think I may have ever delivered. I still find comfort in reading it over every time I find it. I try to think about the fact that I was so lucky to have him for so long and that my kids brought him happiness that I had never seen in him until they were born. I am sure it is the same for you. Take care. You are missed at AP. xoxox Kim LaChap