Friday, October 2, 2009

Scheduled Life

Believe it or not for the last 5 years or so I have lived a relatively unscheduled life. I was a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl. My kids have a scheduled bedtime, but besides that we just went with what the day offered- check the weather, pack a lunch and head out or do a craft at home, read some books, play some games... NO watching the clock or ughhh the dreaded setting of alarms! Well my life is much different now. Last year I had a brief glimpse of the scheduled life with Sophia in preschool, but I had no idea the intensity of the schedule. The last month has been a wake up for me- A great big stinging slap in the face of the way the real world lives!
Tuesdays and Thursdays aren't so bad, we just have to have Sophia dressed, fed and at the end of the driveway by 8:45. Rich has taken the morning bus duty role and that is a HUGE help. It is the Mon/Wed/Fri I'm having a little trouble adjusting to. 6 people up, dressed, fed, 2 lunches made, many butts wiped, lots of shoes tied loaded in the car-8:45 bus pick up and to Abby's preschool by 9 about 2 hours to waste then back to school for pick up, home for lunch some sort of activity to keep Abby and boys happy then Soph off the bus at 3:40. Phewww I'm tired, I DO NOT know how working Moms do it!!! I can't imagine having to figure out school schedules, soccer games, practices, field trips and meals, not to mention some fun time- all while having to work a regular job. I don't know what I will do when I have to go back to work!
As for now I need to figure out this schedule thing. My first step is to buy a watch with and alarm on it, I have an overwhelming fear of not being outside for Sophia's bus (they won't let kindergarten kids off bus with out seeing an adult and I envision her being carted away to the bus garage and into a room with the other kids whose parents aren't aware enough to watch the clock and be outside on time), I need to hang a great big bulletin board with sections for each of us (my little squared calendar isn't cutting it anymore) and I need be a little less laid back-damn...the trials and tribulations of the unorganized, easy going, stay at home mom. Thanks for reading this incredibly long whine! I think tonight I will replace this whine with a big glass of red wine.

***Still having computer troubles and can't post pictures- so you are forced to read my rants and play the role of the therapist that doesn't respond just listens and forces you to work it out in your own mind...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just takes a little getting used to. The mornings are the worst. I had stick-um notes all over my dashboard. I always suspected that underneath that easy going facade there was a very organized core, otherwise you could never have managed toddlers, crafts, pregnancies, more and larger(literally)pregnancies, baking, moving, and most important maintaining this great blog that we all enjoy soo much. What kind of red wine ?

Leah said...

Thanks Anonymous (who are you)! Pretty much any red wine will do, but i'm on a Malbec or Cab kick these days!

Anonymous said...

yeah, i hate being the therapist that listens and can't say anything!
come on, ya know gramma patty has a million and one organizing strategies for you! and even if ur not working (outside of the home) soccer practices for 4, and other various and sundry activities, will drive u nuts. but u r laid back enough to handle it beautifully! and maybe patty's been salivating waiting for the day you'd turn to mama and ask her to teach u organizational skills (lol)
xoxo
roslyn