Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Birth Story

Tuesday the 15th we had an ultrasound and we saw that Simon wasn't growing and Charlie was getting huge and Simon's amniotic fluid was getting lower, both common occurrences at the end of twin pregnancies. Common, but mean it is time to induce!!! We kind of freaked out and reality set in big time. I was done with pregnancy, but that means the 2 more kids and a whole different world was about to begin!!!
So we were sent home to get things in order head to the hospital. We arrive around 2:30 and got settled, still unsure what the plan was. We found out I was having some consistent mild contractions, I thought it was just cramping. This was a good sign for vaginal delivery with out many inducing drugs!!! Still with no plan, Rich ran out to get some food. Of course the Doctor shows up just after he leaves and decides to break my water to get labor moving, tells me a million things that I forget immediately and asks me if I'm doing this by myself- No my husband just wanted some pizza he will be back soon.
Rich returns-We call Mom to have her come in. I find out she can't be with us for the delivery, because only husband is allowed in the OR, but she can hang out for the labor. I think she was relieved, disappointed, but relieved as this pregnancy was really tough for her to wrap her little head around.
Things progress, they want things to go quicker so I get Pitiocin. Everyone (Rich, Mom and Rich's mom) seem a little disappointed that I'm not in reacting much to the labor, just quiet and dealing- not putting on much of a show!!! The doctors suggest I get epidural early on "just in case" (so sick of hearing those words!) so I do and I really felt very little pain from then on. I had the normal reaction I get to and epi- drop in blood pressure, shaking, nausea they actually put me on oxygen at one point.
I finally get the urge and pressure feeling at about 1:30ish and I'm right- It's go time. Rich puts on his scrubs(very cute) and we head to the OR. WOW-cold, bright lights tons of stuff, not as many people as I thought and one very small uncomfortable metal table for me to lay on and push, not the nice comfy adjustable bed I had been in.
Simon was ready to go as soon as I was on the table he was pushed out in 2 or 3 contractions and 15 minutes later Charlie was out. We were back in my room by 2:30. Damn I'm getting good at this!!!
The boys looked good and we got to hold them then they had to go to the nursery. We headed down to my real hospital room and napped a little, and were woken up by a NICU doctor. Charlie had to go into the NICU because his breathing was a bit off and they wanted to observe him. Apparently the second twin out and the larger twin tend to have more difficulty breathing and it is common for them to end up in the NICU. He was observed for about 24 hrs maybe a little more and then sent back to us. We visited him a bunch and I was able to nurse him eventually. I will forever be grateful for my 4 healthy children after seeing the little babies in that NICU. You sometimes forget how lucky you are when things go so smoothly.
Simon did well, he was little and had to go under the warmer a couple of times and get so extra formula calories, instead of just breast milk, but besides that he did great.
We were all sent home on Friday with a clean bill of health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The girls are doing well. Sophia is in love and a huge help! Abby is having a tough time, but coming around. Thanks for reading and feel free to visit us, give me a call and I will let you know a good time.


Henry said...

This Rich guy sounds like a jerk... going for pizza while you are paining in labor.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leah & Rich! CONGRATULATIONS on the BIRTH of your HANDSOME boys. We are so glad to hear that everyone is doing WELL. You've ALL been in our thoughts & prayers. We hope to meet ALL OF YOUR BEAUTIFUL children in the future. We really want to try to make a trip out to see everyone SOME TIME! Our kiddos would have so much fun playing with all of their cousins, just as we used to on our visits. Give everyone our love & give all of your kiddos hugs & kisses from us. Love & prayers, Denise, Jay, Lilly, Celia & Colin

Anonymous said...

Henry obviously doens't know that dad's need to take care of themselves too & it sounds like things weren't really moving along when he left. Sorry, but some people are so ignorant.

Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...

MY God, I think I've got it!!

Kim LaChap said...

Hey Leah-
Congrats! The boys look adorable and your girls are too cute! Thanks for sending me the blog info - I have been enjoying getting the updates and it makes me feel like we are keeping in touch. best of luck and enjoy them!
Kim LaChap

Anonymous said...

Congrats - what a wonderful brood! I've enjoyed keeping up with your progress online but now it's time to observe in person. I'll call soon for a visit. (Hi Richie) Love, Christy

Anonymous said...

Now that I have mastered the art of leaving a comment I will do so...

I am probably the luckiest person I know. Leah and Richard, you have done a great job producing beautiful children, my (I share them with many other grandparents) grandchildren. Life is sweet.Thank you.

The Birth Story is nothng compared to what you guys need to do every single day. I applaude you.

Leah, you popped those little boys out with beauty and grace. I love you.

You both have said that you are finished procreating. I want to believe you!

I am so blessed to have you all in my life and living in the next town. I look forward to years of entertainment and enjoyment from the brood.

With a whole lotta love,
Mom, Patty, Gramma